The top tourist attractions in Quang Binh include Phong Nha cave, which is known as “Vietnam’s best cave” (Nam thiên đệ nhất Động), Thien Duong cave (Paradise cave), and Phong Nha Ke Bang national park – a World Natural Heritage. In addition, there are various beautiful beaches such as Nhat Le or Da Nhay (Dancing Stone) under Da Nhay mountain pass. The best time to visit Quang Binh is summer when you can climb up the mountains and swim down in the sea at the same time.
You should stay at Quang Binh for at least 2 days to fully experience this place.
How to get to Quang Binh
From Hanoi and Sai Gon (Ho Chi Minh city), you may go by train, bus or plane to Dong Hoi (the centre of Quang Binh province).
1. By train
* From Hanoi
There are many trains to Dong Hoi during the day (about 8 trains). The distance between Hanoi and Dong Hoi is about 600km (375 miles), so it often takes less than 10 hours to get there. You can buy train ticket at:
– TSC agency (add: 114 Pho Duc Chinh street – Ba Ðinh district – Hanoi): +844-37162868
– Mua Xuan (spring) agency (add: 41 Ma May Street – Hoan Kiem district – Hanoi): +844-39263138 or +844-22109775
– Hanoi railway station on Le Duan street
* From Sai Gon
There are about 8 trains to Dong Hoi within a day too. The distance between Sai Gon and Dong Hoi is about 1250km (750miles), so it often takes more than 20 hours to get there. You can buy ticket at:
– Sai Gon railway station: 01 Nguyen Thong street, Ward 9, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city. Tel: +848 39 310 666
– For more information: +848 3931 8952 or +848 3846 6091
– Contact the ticket office at +848 38 436 524 or +848 38 468 701
Sai Gon railway station will deliver ticket to your hotel if you request at +848 8436 528. The delivery service is available only within the city from 7:00 to 21:00 everyday.
2. By high quality bus (sleeper bus)
* From Hanoi
It takes about 12 hours to get to Dong Hoi – Quang Binh by bus. Some popular bus agencies:
– Hoang Long bus. Add: 3 Nguyen Khoai – Hai Ba Trung district – Hanoi (Luong Yen bus station). Tel: +844.3987.7225
– Sinh Cafe (open tour): 38 Ly Nam De – Hoan Kiem district – Hanoi. Tel:+8498.8757.689
– Dong Hien bus: 281 Doi Can – Ba Dinh district. Tel: +844.3832.7330
– Hung Long bus: 338 Tran Khat Chan – Cau Giay District – Hanoi. Tel: +844.3972.4505 or +84914.077.779
* From Sai Gon
It takes less than 40 hours to get to Quang Binh by bus.
– Hoang Long bus. 292 Dinh Bo Linh – Binh Thanh district – Ho Chi Minh City (Mien Dong bus station). Tel: +848.2243.8989
– Sinh Cafe. 246-248 De Tham street – District 1. Tel: +848.3838.9597
3. By plane
There are flights of Vietnam Airlines to Dong Hoi. You may book ticket on their website at http://www.vietnamairlines.com
Hotels in Quang Binh
– Duong Sat guest house is near Dong Hoi railway station. The price is $8/day for a twin room (cheap but far from the beach). Contact Mr. Hai at +84982.079.969 or +845.2383.8904
– Tu Linh hotel at 21 Truong Phap street – Dong Hoi, opposite to Nhat Le beach. The price is $10/day for 4 people. Call +845.2382.1324
I stayed at these hotels during my trips to Quang Binh, they’re quite good for you to consider. In addition, I have found some other good ones:
– Cong Doan Nhat Le hotel on Truong Phap street – Dong Hoi. Price: $13 – $15. Tel: +8452.822.369
– Phuong Nam hotel at 10 Quang Trung street – Dong Hoi city. Price: $10 – $20. Tel: +8452.820.390
Vehicles renting in Quang Binh
Most hotels provide vehicles renting service (motorbikes). If not, you may contact:
– Xuyen Viet taxi. Region 10 – Dong Phu ward – Dong Hoi. Tel: +84518.104.22.168. You can hire 4-seat and 7-seat cars (with or without driver).
– Ngoc Thanh in Bac Nghia ward – Dong Hoi. Tel: +8452.377.0417
If you travel in a big group, you may contact:
– Vinh Ha: 9-12-16-seat cars. Add: Huu Nghi street – Dong Hoi. Tel: +8452.382.3371 or +84912. 585.656
– Hong Hoa: 12 to 35-seat cars at 78 Le Loi – Dong Hoi. Tel: +8452.382.4537 or +8491.8186.902
Quang Binh travel itinerary for 2 days
Upon reaching Dong Hoi, rent a motorbike or a car to travel.
In the morning, play at Nhat Le beach in the city center.
In the afternoon, get to Da Nhay beach, which is about 30km (19 miles) from Dong Hoi towards Hanoi. Next, visit Vuc Quanh ecotourism area, on Ho Chi Minh Highway – 7km (4 miles) from Dong Hoi.
In the evening, stroll around the streets, enjoy the wind along the river bank or visit Me Suot monument.
You should buy a tour to visit Thien Duong cave (Paradise cave – a beautiful and majestic cave that you can’t miss), and Phong Nha Ke Bang national park (World Natural Heritage) including such beauty spots as Tien Son cave, Phong Nha cave, Tam Co cave and Nuoc Mooc stream.
In the tour, you will visit Thien Duong cave in the morning and Phong Nha Ke Bang in the afternoon.
You can buy a tour at your hotel or at Phong Nha Discovery company. Tours will finish at 6pm.
If you have one more day
You may visit the rest of the attractions. Most of them are historical sites. There are not many special things to visit. The following are some of the sites:
– Truong Son cemetery is the cemetery exclusively for martyrs.
– Hien Luong bridge over Ben Hai river used to be the border dividing Vietnam into 2 separate parts during the war from 1954 to 1975.
– Vinh Moc tunnel is an underground military structure including kilometers of tunnels and other underground structures.
Book now to discover Quang Binh from Ha Noi or Sai Gon ( Ho Chi Minh City):
- From Ha Noi:
- From HCM City: