No one doubt about the beauty of Ha Long bay as it’s the first time open to the public. Thousand of people has travel here and come back every year. But actually there is another place even offer you much more. It’s Lan Ha bay where is in the South of Ha Long bay and take you only 2 hours to get there. Known as twin of Ha Long bay, Lan Ha bay in Cat Ba Island is an undiscovered land and water of blooming tourism in Vietnam in the last decade. It’s really unfair that this area bay it’s not popular as Ha Long bay but this help to remain the truly experience, natural environment and local culture.
Lan ha bay is located in the south of Ha Long Bay. It belongs to Cat Ba islands area, Hai Phong city. Many people think that it is Halong bay area because it also has hundreds of islands like Halong bay. However, Lan Ha bay is different with hundreds of small beaches, this is paradise for tourists to go swimming, go kayaking or staying overnight in a bungalow…
Lan Ha Bay has about 400 islets. Going by boat to cruise Lan Ha bay, you will see alot of islets with small beaches. The Bay is home to hundreds of mounts with different form depending on travelers’ imagination like Hòn Guốc (Wooden Shoe islet), Hòn Dơi ( Bat grotto), etc.
Lan Ha bay has about 139 beautiful, small sandy beaches, many island has sandy beach lie between two stone mountains. Many tourists come to these beaches for swimming, kayaking, having sunbath or have a picnic lunch on the beach. Especially, in some big beaches, local people has invested to build some bungalows where you can come to stay overnight such as Monkey Island Resort, Sandy Beach Resort, Castaway bungalow, Cove Beach bungalow…
We had chance to stay overnight at Monkey Island Resort in Lan Ha bay. Seeing the sunset here is so beautiful and especially we really enjoy the romantic evening walking on the beach or lying on a long chair to see the moon on the sea. Breath in cool air from the ocean also give us a good health.
Things to do in Lan Ha bay:
1. Lan Ha bay – Kayaking paradise: as Lan Ha bay has hundreds of small sandy beaches and hundreds of small islets around, it is the paradise for those tourists want to kayak in a calm and clean water to discover the wild nature of Cat Ba islands. Some famous places for kayaking here is Cai Beo floating village, Van Boi center area in the middle of the bay, Ba Trai Dao area or Monkey Island area…
2. Swimming in Lan Ha bay: there are many small beaches in Lan Ha bay for you to come to swimm and it is lovely to swimm at Monkey Island or Van Boi Con island.
3. Rock climbing in Lan Ha bay: Catba has an international Rockclimbing center and you can book a half or full day rock climbing trip at Monkey Island Resort booking office.
4. Visit Viet Hai fishing village: from Lan Ha bay, you can come to Viet Hai harbour and then take motobike or bicycle to come 6 km to visit Viet Hai fishing village in the Catba national park.
5. Visit floating village: you can come to visit Cai Beo floating village where people have to stay in floating houses, children go to shool by boat.
6. Play and stay at a private beach: there are some private beach which has bungalows for you to stay overnight. You can book a package tour or just book a room here and you have alot of time for activities in those bungalows like kayaking, swimming, playing beach volleyball, beach football…
How to get to Lan Ha bay:
From Cat Ba island, you can go to Ben Beo port, then buy the ticket to explore Lan Ha bay. Another way is to book the tour from your hotel or travel agency in Cat Ba or Ha Long bay.
What to see in Lan Ha bay:
Nam Cat island
Monkey island (Cat Dua island)
Van Boi beach:
The Bell stone: